Friday 25 September 2009

What Does Religion Have To Do With It?

We're swaddlers. Soon after our babies are born we wrap them up all warm and cozy. They seem to love it.

See Clara, sleeping away, peacefully dreaming her little baby dreams....

The anesthesiologist at the hospital and a nurse came to my hospital room to check on me shortly after Clara came into the world.

Clara was swaddled.

Doctor to nurse: Look! They wrapped the baby up just like we do!

They look surprised and smile at one another.

Doctor to me: So, you wrap up your babies too?

Me: Sleepy and out of it from that I-just-had-a-baby-and-I-can't-believe-it daze, Um, yeah.

Doctor: Wow! What religion are you?

Me: Um, Christian.

Doctor to nurse: I didn't think Christians wrapped their babies up!

She ponders it for a few seconds...

Doctor to me: So, you must be Catholic.

Me: No, we're Protestant.

This is when it finally dawned on me that this was a somewhat strange conversation.

Doctor: Wow! Protestants wrap their babies up? I never knew that.


She then went on to adjust that wonderful medicine going into my spine so I'd feel a little less pain.

I didn't think of asking her what she meant until after she had left the room, and so now I'm left confused and wondering.... what in the world was that all about?






No comments: