Tuesday 19 February 2008

Snowed In


Turkey was hit by a big snow storm, dropping around a foot of fresh snow on top of the snow that was already here. 


 I think that the country is lacking a bit in snow removal equipment, and so the roads out of our city are all closed, as is the airport.  We're able to get around the city just fine in our truck, but there's just something about knowing that we can't leave.  Not that we were planning on leaving today, but it's just that we CAN'T.  If I think about it, I get a little stir crazy. Not that I really know what that term means, but I think it has something to do with how I feel. 


It's kind of like the feeling I get when I'm flying.  Knowing that I'm trapped with a whole bunch of strangers inside a giant tin can with wings, high above the earth, going who knows how many hundreds of miles an hour and I can't get out...not even if I really really want to... not even if I try really really hard.  It kind of freaks me out.  I do my best to avoid thinking about it, because if I think about it, especially while flying, it freaks me out even more.  I mean, I don't want to freak out to the point that I end up having some sort of a break down and then have to be pinned down by a stewardess while they call for an emergency landing.  People would probably film me on their cell phones and I'd end up being a crazy lady on the 11:00 news.  And that would be really embarrassing, ya know.  So I try to avoid thinking too deeply on these things.  It's not that I'm afraid the plane will crash, it's just that I'm afraid I'll look really really stupid in front of a lot of people.  But I digress....


Yesterday morning, in an effort to avoid stir craziness, before the snow had piled too high, I put on boots and went for a walk.  I took a few shots of our neighborhood in the falling snow...


Here’s the cars outside our building buried in the snow.  Yeah, I know it’s not that exciting but it shows just how much snow there was, and if just kept right on snowin' the whole day.


You see that grey building?  The one beside the green and yellow one?  That’s ours!  We live right smack dab in the middle of it.  Sure, from the outside it’s not too pretty, but it’s home.


Here’s the mosque on the corner.  This little gazebo thing in front of it is where people do their ritual washings of their hands, feet and faces before they go in for prayers.  Brrrr.... hope they find somewhere else to wash in the winter time.  Just imagining that makes me shiver...


Oh look!  Here’s a handsome man in a truck.  I bet he’s nice too.... oh wait!  That’s James, the corner of my liver!  He’s picking me up to take me to lunch.  Apparently he wants to avoid the embarrassment of seeing me going stir crazy too!  

No comments: